A new report projects that by 2019-20, 45 percent of public high school graduates in the United States will be nonwhite, up by more than 7 percent over the class of 2009 and driven by a rapid increase in the number of Hispanic students completing high school.
The report from the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education, in Denver, also anticipates a decline in the overall number of high school graduates. That number topped 3.4 million in 2010-11, after growing for 15 years, then began a decline that is expected to stabilize in 2013-14 at 3.2 to 3.3 million graduates.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Haitian music, culture take center stage at Compas Fest
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Gillian Anderson is fired up in 'The Fall', but Whicher is suspiciously dull ; The former 'X-Files' star channels her inner Helen Mirren in a new crime drama set in Belfast
- Daily Trivia Byte
- Joshua Radin loves to sing about love