OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/23/13 -- The Honourable Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety, commended CBSA officers on two separate tobacco seizures worth $3.4 million, at the Queenston Bridge in Queenston, Ontario and the Peace Bridge in Fort Erie, Ontario.
"I commend the vigilance of these dedicated CBSA officers who are highly trained to detect and stop the flow of contraband goods.
Trafficking in contraband tobacco puts our communities and citizens at risk. It threatens the health of Canadians and perpetuates criminal activity that jeopardizes our collective efforts to build safe, prosperous communities in which we can raise our families and conduct legitimate business.
Our government has been clear on this: we will not tolerate this type of activity and will spare no effort in stopping those who attempt to traffic in illegal goods."
For more information on the seizure, visit the CBSA website : http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/prosecutions-poursuites/nffe/2013-01-23-eng.html
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
Public Safety Canada
Canada Border Services Agency
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines