OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/22/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today issued the following statement following the decision of Dave Heineman, Governor of Nebraska, to approve the re-route for the proposed TransCanada Keystone XL pipeline that would avoid the state's environmentally sensitive Sandhills region.
"Our government welcomes the positive decision by the Nebraska Governor, Dave Heineman, to approve the rerouting of the Keystone XL pipeline. We support the Keystone XL project because it benefits jobs and the economic growth of both Canada and the United States. This important project is expected to create thousands of jobs and generate revenue to governments to support our critical social programs, including health care and education. Our desire is to work with the Obama Administration in achieving final approval. We believe Keystone XL will enhance the future economic prosperity and security of both Canada and the United States."
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, Ottawa
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms