LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwire) -- 01/22/13 -- The recent passing of The Golden Globes has meant that fashion has been put forward with its most glamorous foot first.
The best of Hollywood stepped out and showcased some of the most lavish, side-splitting gowns that demonstrated that even after Christmas, dresses that have some splendour and sparkle have not been forgotten.
Although The Guardian's Hadley Freeman has recently quipped that a year of award outfits may well be a bland affair, a look at the high street shows that an influence of grown-up gowns is popular still, with brands like New Look offering formal fashion with a fresh and fun twist for a range of occasions. From the maxi to the strapless, the dresses are all great red carpet contenders when teamed with a pair of satin or strappy shoes.
The big dramatic look on the carpet by celebrities was to reveal a toned thigh under a chiffon skirt. For a similar look, New Look's Madam Rage Black Foil Spot Dip Hem Dress is short at the front and long at the back to create a similar demure yet daring effect.
Also spotted the ceremony were bright colours, like copper and red, showing that although it might seem far away, spring is somewhere on the horizon. New Look's Cameo Rose Dark Red Pleated Sleeveless Dress livens up the wardrobe, or for a flash of brilliance, the Coral and Black Colour Block Pleated Skater Dress has a coral hem that turns a classic black dress into a spinning wheel of colour with the right twirl.
In terms of black dresses, every awards ceremony seems to need them. Both sequinned and strapless, the black dress still managed to dominate. However, the white dress too was a firm favourite, gleaming simply; it offered a serene elegance to counter the hustle and bustle of the red carpet.
Whatever the style and colour, the gap between Golden Globe Red Carpet and High Street is not so large after all, as staple favourites like New Look appear to cover a range of style choices.
+44 (0)20 332 66234
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Tesla's Alt-Energy Future Aims for Massive Lithium-Ion Battery Production
- FAA to Appeal Court Decision Allowing Commercial Drone Use
- Rand Paul Tops Presidential Straw Poll at Conservative PAC Conference
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- New Chat App, Yik Yak, Causes Problems for Students
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- Arriola Takes Charge at SoCalGas
- Obama Meets with Ukraine Prime Minister Wednesday