Athletes from across the region will see just how fit they are at CrossFit Countdown's Gym Throw Down this weekend.
The gym, on Greenup Avenue in Ashland, will be looking for the fittest in the Tri-State. Participants will compete in four events, males competing against other males and females against other females, said Gerald Sasser, event organizer.
"People shoud do it to see how fit they really are. To compare yourself with other athletes and see how well you're doing," Sasser said.
The contestants will earn points in each event, and the top three males and top two females with the highest cumulative score will earn the title Fittest in the Tri-State. Awards for top individuals will include T-shirts, knick-knacks and a purse that will be based on participation.
Participants will also contribute to their gym's standing in the competition. The top two females and top three males on each event will earn points for their gym. The gym with the highest cumulative score at the end of the competition will win $1,000.
Members from several gyms throughout the Tri-State will be participating, from Huntington to Teays Valley, but only a few gyms qualify to be in the running for the $1,000 prize, Sasser said, adding that about 12 contestants and about 18 judges from his gym will participate in the competition.
Registration for the competition is closed, but everyone is invited to check out the action, Sasser said. Check in for athletes is at 9 a.m. Saturday at CrossFit Countdown, and the event is expected to start at 9:40 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Senate Dems Pull All-Nighter on Global Warming
- Rand Paul Takes Pot Shot at Ted Cruz
- Obama Plugs ACA on Zach Galifianakis Show
- Why New Workers Can't Get Ahead
- myLINGO Translates Hollywood Films into Spanish
- Dianne Feinstein Accuses CIA of Spying on Congress
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- 'The Bachelor' Juan Pablo Picks His Love
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- Snowden Urges Silicon Valley to Resist Internet Spying