Americans are divided over whether global warming -- an issue brought back to the fore by President Obama -- is a man-made phenomenon, a CNN poll indicated.
On the subject of illegal immigration -- another flashpoint issue Obama discussed in his inaugural speech -- the a CNN-ORC International survey released Tuesday indicated a slight majority said the focus of the federal government should be on developing a plan to allow undocumented immigrants to become legal residents instead of deporting them.
The poll indicated 49 percent agreed with Obama that global warming is a proven fact and the result of emissions from cars, power plants and factories. The figure is twice as high as the number who said that global warming has not been proven; 24 percent said global warming was proven, but man-made sources weren't the cause.
Concerning the federal government's role in immigration, Americans, by a 53 percent-to-43 percent margin, said the federal government should develop a plan that would allow undocumented immigrants to become legal residents.
Poll results also indicated 51 percent of Americans favor all or most of the provisions in the Affordable Care Act while 44 percent opposed to all or most of the provisions in the law.
Results are based on nationwide phone surveys with 814 adults conducted Jan. 14-15. The margin of error is 3.5 percentage points.
Most Popular Stories
- GE Healthcare Bringing Jobs to Massachusetts
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Faith Groups Divest From Fossil Fuels
- Spiders Get Bigger, Reproduce Faster in Cities
- James Foley Beheading Video Is Real Thing: White House
- Entrepreneur Contest Announced in Idaho
- Why BofA Won't Pay $17 Billion After All
- Notes From the July FOMC Meeting
- Obama Weighs Move on Legal Immigration
- Eric Holder Arrives in Ferguson