Manti Te'o indeed will talk about his recent fake girlfriend hoax ordeal on
And Katie Couric reportedly will be sitting across from him.
The former Today Show host and CBS evening news anchor landed the first televised interview with the former Notre Dame All-American linebacker, the New York Times reported Sunday.
The newspaper said a spokesman for the show confirmed that Te'o will be interviewed along with his parents, Brian and Ottilia. The Times also reported the interview will be televised on Thursday on "Katie," Couric's syndicated talk show, and excerpts will be broadcast beforehand on "Good Morning America" and other ABC News programs.
The Times noted a fairly fortuitous coincidence for Couric in landing the interview: The spokesman hired by Te'o's family, Matthew Hiltzik, is also the longtime spokesman for Couric.
Te'o became embroiled last week in a raging controversy after Deadspin.com reported that Lennay Kekua, the 22-year-old woman who was portrayed as Te'o's girlfriend and was said to have died in September, was in fact a hoax.
The man alleged to have been the mastermind of the hoax, 22-year-old Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, also might speak to the media this week, his uncle told reporters in Lancaster, Calif.
"The family is strong," Peter "Navy" Tuiasosopo said, according to the Los Angeles Times. "The family will stay together."
Ronaiah Tuiasosopo's father, Pastor Titus Tuiasosopo, thanked his Lancaster congregation Sunday for the support it showed to his family.
Te'o first spoke, off-camera, to ESPN and said he had no part in the scam, adding that the alleged mastermind hoaxer Ronaiah Tuiasosopo contacted him to admit his part and apologize last week.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women