The Algerian hostage crisis must lead to closer
cooperation with governments of the region to prevent the
establishment of a "new terrorist haven on Europe's doorstep,"
British Prime Minister David Cameron said Monday.
"We will work closely with the Algerian government to learn the lessons of this attack and to deepen our security cooperation," Cameron told parliament.
Britain would offer to contribute intelligence and counter-terrorism assets to an "international effort to find and dismantle the network that planned and ordered" the assault on the gas installation at In Amenas.
Cameron said Britain was prepared to work with governments "across the region" to defeat the terrorist threat which had emerged in countries including Yemen, Somalia, Nigeria, Libya and Mali.
The situation called for a "patient and resolute" approach, said Cameron, which he would pursue with an "iron resolve."
Whereas in the past, the main terrorist threat to the west had emanated from Afghanistan, the focus had now moved to North Africa and countries further to the south, he said.
It was important to "frustrate" the terrorists on security, beat them militarily and tackle their "poisonous" ideology which attempted to divide the world into a "clash of cilizations."
"This is the work our generation faces and we must demonstrate the same resolve and sense of purpose as previous generations have with the challenges that they faced," said Cameron.
He added that he would use Britain's presidency of the Group of Eight (G8) leading industrial nations this year to make sure that the topic was "right at the top of the agenda" of discussions.
Most Popular Stories
- McDonald's Packages Coffee for National Distribution
- Castro-Blanco Joins Fifth Street Finance Board
- Ballmer Steps Down From Microsoft Board
- HTC Makes Windows Version of Flagship One Phone
- Target Slashes Annual Profit Outlook
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- Google Kid Accounts Plan Raises Worries
- Rising Freight Prices Signal Global Recovery
- Sprint Cancels Framily, Rolls Out New Data Pricing Plan
- Islamic Militant in James Foley Beheading Video May Be English