Santa Monica-based Edmunds.com is projecting 15 million new car sales nationwide in 2013, a 4 percent increase over 2012.
Pre-recession new car sales peaked at around 17 million units.
Still, the 2012 sales total of nearly 14.5 million vehicles is a 13.5 percent increase over 2011 and the highest annual total since 2007.
"What's especially encouraging is the current competitive strength among the automakers," said Lacey Plache, Edmunds' chief economist. "Consumers will continue to benefit from exciting new models and technologies -- and potentially lower prices -- as automakers continue to battle for market share."
The Sacramento-based California New Car Dealers Association will release 2012 numbers in a few weeks. CNCDA has already projected 2012 statewide new car sales -- including fleet sales -- to come in at about 1.6 million units, which would be a 24 percent improvement over about 1.29 million in 2011.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column