The National Rifle Association is more popular than Hollywood, but most Americans want stricter gun-control laws, an NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows.
The powerful lobby for gun makers and gun owners has a 41 percent positive approval rating, while Hollywood and the entertainment industry have a 23 percent favorable rating, the poll found.
The NRA and other critics have blamed the entertainment and video-game industries for contributing to an American culture of violence.
The poll found 34 percent of respondents gave the giant gun-rights group a negative rating, while 46 percent said the same about Hollywood and the entertainment industry.
At the same time, 56 percent of Americans said laws covering the sale of firearms should be made stricter, the poll found.
Thirty-five percent said the laws should be kept as they are, with no changes, and 7 percent said gun laws should be loosened.
Views about guns were closely tied to whether the respondent households had a gun, the poll found. Sixty-seven percent of people in homes without guns favored stricter laws, while 44 percent in homes with guns favored making them stricter.
The survey found 41 percent of Americans said someone in their household owned a gun.
On other topics, President Barack Obama had a 52 percent approval rating ahead of his second inauguration Monday, while Congress had a 14 percent approval rating.
The No. 1 thing respondents said they'd want to tell Obama is to create jobs. The No. 1 thing they'd want to tell leaders in Congress -- compromise and work together.
The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted Jan. 12-15 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy