A moviegoer shot by a despondent stranger in a Texas theater last month has sued the theater chain for $30 million in compensation, the victim's attorney says.
Mario Acevedo was shot in the back Dec. 16 while leaving the bathroom of the Mayan Palace 14 in San Antonio by a man upset over a breakup with his girlfriend, the San Antonio Express-News reported Thursday.
Acevedo's suit claims police had been called to the theater many times and Santikos Theatres, the parent company, "owed him a duty to exercise ordinary care to keep the premises in reasonably safe condition."
A spokesman for Santikos said the theater has off-duty police officers present every night, and that it was an off-duty officer who shot the alleged shooter and took his gun away.
None of Acevedo's vital organs were hit in the shooting and he was released from the hospital the same night, authorities said.
The lawsuit seeks compensation for Acevedo's physical pain, mental anguish, lost wages and diminished capacity to enjoy life and society.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Entrepreneurs' Next Creation May Be New Laws
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts