South Dakota ranks third in the United States in pet ownership and fourth in cat ownership, according to survey released by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The survey is conducted every five years, and the recently released statistics reflect December 2011 pet ownership, according to a news release.
The survey showed that 65.6 percent of South Dakotans own pets. That's behind Vermont (70.8 percent) and New Mexico (67.6 percent).
According to the survey, 39.1 percent of South Dakota households have cats. That's behind Vermont (49.5 percent), Maine (46.4 percent) and Oregon (40.2 percent).
South Dakota is not in the top 10 in dog ownership. North Dakota is not listed in the top 10 or bottom 10 in pet, cat or dog ownership. In Minnesota, 53 percent of households have pets, according to the survey. That total ranks tied for 40th.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Amazon Prime Grabs Classic HBO TV Series
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Sales of New Homes Fell 14.5 Percent in March
- Obama Opens Japan Trip with Sushi Stop
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter