South Dakota ranks third in the United States in pet ownership and fourth in cat ownership, according to survey released by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The survey is conducted every five years, and the recently released statistics reflect December 2011 pet ownership, according to a news release.
The survey showed that 65.6 percent of South Dakotans own pets. That's behind Vermont (70.8 percent) and New Mexico (67.6 percent).
According to the survey, 39.1 percent of South Dakota households have cats. That's behind Vermont (49.5 percent), Maine (46.4 percent) and Oregon (40.2 percent).
South Dakota is not in the top 10 in dog ownership. North Dakota is not listed in the top 10 or bottom 10 in pet, cat or dog ownership. In Minnesota, 53 percent of households have pets, according to the survey. That total ranks tied for 40th.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Drive-In Movie Theaters Use Creativity to Afford Digital Switch
- U.S. Immigration Courts Facing Record Backlog
- Obama Cites Letter Writers in Pitching Economy
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Farrell, Kitsch Rumored for Season 2 of 'True Detective'
- Pau Gasol Turns Down Lakers' Offer
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck