South Dakota ranks third in the United States in pet ownership and fourth in cat ownership, according to survey released by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The survey is conducted every five years, and the recently released statistics reflect December 2011 pet ownership, according to a news release.
The survey showed that 65.6 percent of South Dakotans own pets. That's behind Vermont (70.8 percent) and New Mexico (67.6 percent).
According to the survey, 39.1 percent of South Dakota households have cats. That's behind Vermont (49.5 percent), Maine (46.4 percent) and Oregon (40.2 percent).
South Dakota is not in the top 10 in dog ownership. North Dakota is not listed in the top 10 or bottom 10 in pet, cat or dog ownership. In Minnesota, 53 percent of households have pets, according to the survey. That total ranks tied for 40th.
Most Popular Stories
- Homeowners More Satisfied With Mortgage Servicers
- Discounts Help U.S. Auto Sales Sizzle in July
- Recruiting and Keeping the Perfect Employee
- Russia, Ukraine Now Face Off Over Football Clubs
- Colorado Issuing Immigrant Driver's Licenses
- MassMutual Teams Up With ALPFA
- Chrysler U.S. Sales in July Hit 9-Year High
- Fiat Looks Abroad After Chrysler Merger Vote
- Dow Wipes Out Gains for the Year: What Happens Now?
- House Shelves Immigration Bill, Goes on Vacation