South Dakota ranks third in the United States in pet ownership and fourth in cat ownership, according to survey released by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The survey is conducted every five years, and the recently released statistics reflect December 2011 pet ownership, according to a news release.
The survey showed that 65.6 percent of South Dakotans own pets. That's behind Vermont (70.8 percent) and New Mexico (67.6 percent).
According to the survey, 39.1 percent of South Dakota households have cats. That's behind Vermont (49.5 percent), Maine (46.4 percent) and Oregon (40.2 percent).
South Dakota is not in the top 10 in dog ownership. North Dakota is not listed in the top 10 or bottom 10 in pet, cat or dog ownership. In Minnesota, 53 percent of households have pets, according to the survey. That total ranks tied for 40th.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama's Delay on Immigration Creates Uncertainty
- Obama on Labor Day: Don't Take Rights for Granted
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- California Passes First US Statewide Bag Ban
- New Hershey's Logo Revealed
- Buyer's Remorse on Common Core for Policymakers?
- Mexico's Pemex Forecasts 6.7% Drop in 2014 Crude Production
- American Airlines Back on Obitz
- Echeveste Steps Down, Perez Steps Up at VPE
- Startups Offer Smartphone Banking Apps