South Dakota ranks third in the United States in pet ownership and fourth in cat ownership, according to survey released by the American Veterinary Medical Association.
The survey is conducted every five years, and the recently released statistics reflect December 2011 pet ownership, according to a news release.
The survey showed that 65.6 percent of South Dakotans own pets. That's behind Vermont (70.8 percent) and New Mexico (67.6 percent).
According to the survey, 39.1 percent of South Dakota households have cats. That's behind Vermont (49.5 percent), Maine (46.4 percent) and Oregon (40.2 percent).
South Dakota is not in the top 10 in dog ownership. North Dakota is not listed in the top 10 or bottom 10 in pet, cat or dog ownership. In Minnesota, 53 percent of households have pets, according to the survey. That total ranks tied for 40th.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women