U.S. President Barack Obama will announce measures Wednesday to address gun violence in the wake of a massacre at a Connecticut elementary school last month.
Obama has considered proposals formulated by Vice President Joe Biden as part of a task force after 20 children and six adults were shot dead at a school in December.
White House spokesman Jay Carney declined to provide specifics of Obama's proposal, but stressed "the president has made clear that he intends to take a comprehensive approach."
"He has also made clear that there are specific legislative actions that he will continue to call on Congress to take, including the assault weapons ban, including a measure to ban high-capacity magazine clips, including an effort to close the very big loopholes in the background check system in our country," he said.
The shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School has unleashed a national debate on guns and whether tougher laws are needed.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'