NASA and its international partners have named several future International Space Station expedition crews. They include NASA astronauts Steve Swanson, Reid Wiseman, Barry Wilmore and Terry Virts.
Swanson was born in Syracuse, N.Y., but considers Steamboat Springs, Colo., his hometown. Wiseman is from Baltimore and is a commander in the U.S. Navy. Wilmore, a captain in the U.S. Navy, is from Mount Juliet, Tenn. Virts, a colonel in the U.S. Air Force, was born in Baltimore, but considers Columbia, Md., his hometown.
Swanson and his two Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) crewmates will join Expedition 39 in progress. That expedition will begin in March 2014. Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) astronaut Koichi Wakata, the expedition's commander; NASA's Richard Mastracchio; and Russian cosmonaut Mikhail Tyurin already will be aboard.
Swanson and his crewmates are scheduled to launch in April 2014. Expedition 39 will consist of the following crew members:
-- Wakata, station commander-- Mastracchio, flight engineer-- Tyurin, flight engineer-- Swanson, flight engineer-- Alexander Skvortsov of Roscomos, flight engineer-- Oleg Artemyev of Roscosmos, flight engineer
Expedition 40 will begin in May 2014. The second half of the crew is scheduled to launch in June 2014. Expedition 40 will consist of the following crew members:
-- Swanson, station commander-- Skvortsov, flight engineer-- Artemyev, flight engineer-- Wiseman, flight engineer-- Maxim Suraev of Roscosmos, flight engineer-- Alexander Gerst of the European Space Agency (ESA), flight engineer
Expedition 41 will begin in September 2014. The remainder of the crew is scheduled to launch in October 2014. Expedition 41 will consist of the following crew members:
-- Suraev, station commander-- Wiseman, flight engineer-- Gerst, flight engineer-- Wilmore, flight engineer-- Yelena Serova of Roscosmos, flight engineer-- Alexander Samoukutyaev of Roscosmos, flight engineer
Expedition 42 will begin in November 2014. The other half of the team is scheduled to launch in December 2014. Once on the station, Expedition 42 will include the following crew members:
-- Wilmore, station commander-- Serova, flight engineer-- Samoukutyaev, flight engineer-- Virts, flight engineer-- Samantha Cristoforetti of ESA, flight engineer
For complete astronaut biographical information, visit: http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/index.html
For more information about the International Space Station, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/station
To join the online conversation about the International Space Station and the men and women aboard, follow @NASA_Astronauts and the hashtag #ISS. To learn more about all the ways to connect and collaborate with NASA, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/connect
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column