Fiat boss Sergio Marchionne plans to steer the
Italian carmaker through the current doldrums in the European market
without closing additional factories, he said Tuesday at the North
American International Auto Show in Detroit.
He foresaw converting Fiat's excess capacity in Europe to produce
cars for other brands within the conglomerate. Still, the adjustments
to achieve that capital-intensive shift would be "very painful."
In November 2011, Fiat closed a factory in Sicily, and last month
the company announced that it would spend 1.3 billion dollars to
retool a plant in Melfi, Italy, to build an entry-level Jeep and a
new Fiat 500.
Most Popular Stories
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis more than worth the price of admission
- Filipino director takes new look at Bataan march
- 2013 TV Upfronts: NBC's Harbert says there are too many upfronts
- Fox, Twitter join in promotional partnership
- The inimitable Grete: German voice is at home on the radio
- CTH acquires rights to 24 Fox channels
- Gilbert Theater gears up for new season
- Oak Cliff Film Festival announces lineup
- NBC's fall lineup includes Michael J. Fox, James Spader, 'Dracula'
- Fox schedule includes '24' return
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Fiat boss Marchionne Wants to Repurpose Excess Capacity
Jan. 15, 2013
Advertisement
For more coverage on the automotive industry, please see HispanicBusiness' Auto Channel
Source: Copyright 2013 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Story Tools



