A shooting has been reported at the Stevens Institute of Business and Arts at 1521 Washington Avenue.
At least one person was injured by the gunman, according to police scanner traffic. The suspected gunman, believed to be a 21-year-old man, was reported to have shot himself.
Two men were brought from the building on stretchers and loaded into ambulances. One left immediately while the other was idling in front of the building.
Nearly two dozen squad cars are out around the building. Helicopters are flying overhead.
SWAT teams were moving through the building ensuring each floor was clear.
Authorities have closed off Washington Avenue between 15th and 18th streets and St. Charles Avenue at 14th Street.
Check back to stltoday.com for more information on this developing story.
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Target Security Breach May Affect 40 Million Cardholders
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Tyson Foods Charged With Civil Rights Violation
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Texting With Vodka: Booze and Social Media Can Mix After All
- Bernanke Lets Congress Have It in Final Press Conference
- Wall Street Falls a Day After Surge
- How to Protect Yourself After Target Data Breach
- Hispanic PR Firm Launches Chicago Chapter