U.S. researchers say a pill-size device fed down the throat can detect conditions in the esophagus at a fraction of the cost of an endoscopic examination.
Researchers at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at Massachusetts General Hospital said the device offers a new method for detecting cancers and other throat ailments by taking microscopic images as it is fed down through the throat, Red Orbit reported Monday.
A main use of the device would be to scan for a condition known as Barrett's esophagus, a pre-cancerous condition often caused by long-term exposure to stomach acid, researchers said.
About the size of a multivitamin and equipped with an infrared light source and sensors, the device can capture a detailed, microscopic image of the esophagus wall while providing a number of advantages over traditional endoscopy, they said.
"This system gives us a convenient way to screen for Barrett's that doesn't require patient sedation, a specialized setting and equipment, or a physician who has been trained in endoscopy," Dr. Gary Tearney, the study author, said.
"By showing the three-dimensional, microscopic structure of the esophageal lining, it reveals much more detail than can be seen with even high-resolution endoscopy."
A small tether is connected to the imaging device, which is swallowed by the patient, allowing a health professional to control the system during the procedure and remove it when the examination is complete, researchers said.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney