U.S. stock indexes closed mixed Monday.
By close of trading on Wall Street, the Dow Jones industrial average added 18.89 points or 0.14 percent to 13,507.32. The Nasdaq composite index shed 8.13 points or 0.26 percent to 3,117.50. The Standard and Poor's 500 lost 1.37 points or 0.09 percent to 1,470.68.
On the New York Stock Exchange, 1,498 stocks advanced and 1,511 declined on a volume of 2.9 billion shares traded.
The 10-year treasury note rose 5/32 to yield 1.851 percent.
Against the dollar, the euro rose to $1.3378 from Friday's $1.3363. The dollar was higher at 89.50 yen from 89.31 yen.
In London, the FTSE 100 index lost 0.22 percent or 13.72 points to 6,107.86.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million