Argo won the Golden Globe Sunday for best
drama and Ben Affleck won the best director award for the film about
a CIA rescue of US embassy employees from revolutionary Iran.
The double win against Oscar rivals like Lincoln, Zero Dark Thirty Life of Pi and Django Unchained boosted Argo's chances for the Academy Awards at the end of February.
The 70th annual Globes spread the silverware among the Oscar contenders. Les Miserables won three awards: best musical or comedy, best actor in a musical or comedy for Hugh Jackman and named best supporting actress for Anne Hathaway.
Lincoln's Daniel Day Lewis won best dramatic actor, while Jessica Chastain of Zero Dark Thirty was named best actress in a drama. Jennifer Lawrence of Silver Linings Playbook was names best comedy actress.
Django Unchained won best screenplay and best supporting actor for Christoph Waltz, while Life of Pi won for best score, and Skyfall won best song for its theme sung by Adele. Amour was named best foreign language movie.
Actress Jodie Foster won the Cecile B De Mille award for "outstanding contributions to the world of entertainment."
Previous winners include Walt Disney, Robert Redford, Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese and Jack Nicholson.
In the television awards, Girls was named best comedy, and its creator Lena Dunham won for best actress. The best TV drama was Homeland whose stars Damian Lewis and Claire Danes were also named best dramatic actors. The best TV actor in a comedy was Don Cheadle of House of Lies.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women