Miss New York Mallory Hytes Hagan Saturday was named Miss America 2013 at the time-honored pageant in Las Vegas.
Hagan, who hails from Brooklyn and attended the Fashion Institute of Technology in New York, says she plans to use her scholarship award to pursue a degree in cosmetics and fragrance marketing.
She tap danced to James Brown's "Get Up Offa That Thing" in the talent portion of the competition and wowed the judges in the swimsuit competition, USA Today reported.
Miss Wisconsin Laura Kaeppeler took a final walk in her crown before the final results were announced.
Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers was runner-up, Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton was second runner-up, and Miss Wyoming Lexie Madden was third runner-up.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column