OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/11/13 -- On behalf of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, I extend my sincere condolences on the passing of the Honourable John Wise, PC.
A dairy farmer from Ontario's Elgin County, John brought his passion for agriculture to public life, serving in municipal politics, farm organizations and as member of Parliament for Elgin for 16 years. As Canada's agriculture minister, John was highly respected in the farm community and by Canadians for his integrity and dedication to the job of serving and growing Canadian agriculture. John was a capable and realistic minister with a knowledge of agriculture from the ground up. Under his watch, he helped guide several critical pieces of legislation. He was also instrumental in the development of the Canada-U.S. Trade Agreement from an agricultural perspective. This included delivering transition assistance for grape growers, which laid the foundation for today's world-class Canadian wine industry. He was also successful in developing stronger federal-provincial-territorial relations to move the industry forward. While dealing with some difficult issues through his career, John was always open to debate-and, as one colleague recalls, he was "a gentleman throughout."
I am honoured to continue John's efforts in putting farmers first, because a strong farm gate is the backbone of our economy. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Wise family.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
The Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Clinton Sought GOP Support for Health Plan
- Saucedo Mercer Running on Empty in Arizona
- Spring Salmon Return to San Joaquin
- Auto Parts Plant Opening in Pa., Jobs on Tap
- IPO Market Shows Signs of Settling Down to Earth
- Pakistan Library Dedicated to 'Osama bin Laden, the Martyr'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001