The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) applauds Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis' dedication to improving the lives of Flight Attendants and working families. In honor of Secretary Solis' service at the Department of Labor, AFA issued the following statement:
"Through the advocacy of Secretary Solis, safety and health standards in the aircraft cabin have improved. For the first time in history, Flight Attendants will have vital Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) protections that millions of Americans have had for decades. We commend Secretary Solis for her zero tolerance approach to preventable workplace injuries.
"In addition, Secretary Solis and her team worked diligently to issue proposed rulemaking for the flight crew technical corrections to the Family Medical Leave Act so that Flight Attendants and their families could utilize FMLA benefits. Under her leadership, the Department of Labor is preparing thorough and clear guidelines to airline management, to ensure the FMLA benefits we fought so hard for were finally accessible to flight crews.
"In the true spirit of democracy, Secretary Solis has been a strong advocate of collective bargaining rights. Her commitment to ensuring that workers have a voice at the table will have lasting effects for millions of Americans.
"It has been an honor to work alongside this champion of working people. We will forever be thankful to Secretary Solis. She is an inspirational leader and we wish all the best for her and her family."
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Swiss Suicide Tourism Doubled Since 2009
- Florida's Largest Insurer Says 'Bailout' Attacks Unfair
- James Foley Beheading Sparks Anger, Little Action
- Wealth Gap Widened in Past Decade: Census
- Gap Reports Higher Profits, India Plans
- International Revulsion Grows Over James Foley Death
- Beyonce, Jay-Z Cuba Trip Was Legal After All
- Chinese Stock Funds Are a Late-summer Bloomer
- Sears Holdings Loses $573 Million