LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 01/11/13 -- City Index UK -- "The greatest trick the devil has ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist" -- The Usual Suspects
But Draghi convinced the markets the OMT did exist in September without activating it. What ensued thereafter was a virtual easing, with peripheral bonds, equity indices and euro currency moving from strength to strength.
Euro is powered up (highest daily percentage gain since September 7, 2012) after the ECB press conference revealed that none of the governing council members called for a rate cut at today's meeting, which added to the currency's earlier gains triggered by a strong Spanish bond auction. EUR 5.827 bn in 2015, 2018 and 2026 bonds was raised, exceeding expectations of EUR 4-5 bn. Yields fell across the board, while the bid/cover ratio for the five-year auction jumped to 2.59 from the prior 2.59.
See chart and read full article: Euro Fired Up By Spain Auction & ECB
Recall the euro fell immediately after the December press conference due to downward ECB revisions in growth and inflation as well as Draghi's indication that discussions over interest rates remained ongoing.
The ECB can continue to avoid cutting the refinancing rate to 0.25% without the OMT having been deployed would be deemed excessive accommodation from the ECB in the face of a reticent Spain.
EUR/USD's Best Year Since 2002?
EUR/USD's crucial accomplishment of 2012: posting nine winning months -- the most since 2002 (the starting year of the euro's bull market/beginning of US dollar's bear market) when the single currency had 10 winning months.
About City Index:
As a group we have over 400 employees worldwide and offices in the UK, US, Poland, Singapore, China, Israel and Australia. We transact in excess of 2 million trades every month for individuals in over 50 countries worldwide.
Our innovative trading platform enables you to spread bet and trade CFDs from a single platform. Our commitment to innovate and lead prompted us to launch City Trading -- the first downloadable spread betting and CFD trading App for the iPhone in 2009.
Your losses are magnified in exactly the same way as your gains if the market moves against you and can result in losses exceeding your initial outlay. Please ensure you fully understand the risks involved.
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]