A ranking of U.S. diet programs found among the 12 commercial programs marketed to the public, Weight Watchers was the best.
In Best Diets 2013, U.S. News & World Report ranked Weight Watchers as the Best Weight-Loss Diet, with Biggest Loser, Jenny Craig and Raw Food Diet tied for second place.
The magazine also ranked the diets on likelihood of ability to prevent and control diabetes and heart disease, healthiness and how easy they are to follow. A new rankings category added this year was Best Plant-Based Diets -- won by The Mediterranean followed by the Flexitarian diet.
The DASH -- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension -- diet, wasn't created as a way to drop pounds, but as a means of combating high blood pressure. The federal government, which funded the research behind DASH, doesn't even call it a diet -- it's an "eating plan."
The DASH diet beat out 28 other diets including Atkins, Jenny Craig and Slim-Fast, as the Best Diet Overall followed by the TLC Diet.
The Best Diabetes Diet was Biggest Loser, which was tied with the DASH Diet.
The Best Heart-Healthy Diet was the Ornish Diet followed by the TLC Diet.
Most Popular Stories
- American Airlines, US Airways Complete Merger
- ACA Delay Stresses Small Businesses
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- Unemployed Wait as Lawmakers Debate
- General Dynamics Plans 200 New Jobs in N.M.
- Harley Issues Motorcycle Recall
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Auto Dealer Builds Big Solar Project
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response