A ranking of U.S. diet programs found among the 12 commercial programs marketed to the public, Weight Watchers was the best.
In Best Diets 2013, U.S. News & World Report ranked Weight Watchers as the Best Weight-Loss Diet, with Biggest Loser, Jenny Craig and Raw Food Diet tied for second place.
The magazine also ranked the diets on likelihood of ability to prevent and control diabetes and heart disease, healthiness and how easy they are to follow. A new rankings category added this year was Best Plant-Based Diets -- won by The Mediterranean followed by the Flexitarian diet.
The DASH -- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension -- diet, wasn't created as a way to drop pounds, but as a means of combating high blood pressure. The federal government, which funded the research behind DASH, doesn't even call it a diet -- it's an "eating plan."
The DASH diet beat out 28 other diets including Atkins, Jenny Craig and Slim-Fast, as the Best Diet Overall followed by the TLC Diet.
The Best Diabetes Diet was Biggest Loser, which was tied with the DASH Diet.
The Best Heart-Healthy Diet was the Ornish Diet followed by the TLC Diet.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount