Greece's unemployment rate rose to a record high of
26.8 per cent in October, as the country headed into a sixth year of
recession, the state statistics agency (ELSTAT) said on Thursday.
The jobless rate rose from 26 per cent in the previous month and 19.7 per cent a year earlier.
Official figures showed 1.345 million people were unemployed, with the young being the worst affected, with 56.6 per cent of those aged between 15 and 24 out of work in October 2012, compared to 46.7 per cent a year earlier and 34.7 per cent in 2010.
The country's unemployment rate has increased dramatically as a result of harsh austerity measures demanded by Greece's international creditors, which have shut down tens of thousands of businesses in exchange for rescue loans.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'