New Futuro was selected out of nearly 400 nominees as a finalist for the 2012 Chicago Innovation Awards. The Hispanic education group was the only minority business enterprise (MBE) finalist with a Hispanic focus.
"It is an honor to be selected as a finalist for this prestigious award," said Marty Castro, co-founder of New Futuro. "We are excited to be able to showcase the innovative approach New Futuro is taking to help solve the U.S. education gap."
The Chicago Innovation Awards, celebrating its 11th year, is dedicated to honoring innovative products or services brought to market or to public service from a specific region.
The final 10 winners will be announced Oct. 22 at an event with over 1,500 business and civic leaders at Chicago's Harris Theater.
New Futuro was nominated for its high-touch, high-tech bilingual educational community designed to help families get their students into college and beyond.
The Chicago-based MBE partners with organizations in the nonprofit, education, government and corporate sectors to help Latinos achieve their educational and career goals. The organization offers free, fully bilingual education tools, resources and ongoing guidance and support to Latino families -- including thousands of dollars in scholarships.
"By focusing on increasing Latino college education rates, we are helping prepare the American workforce of tomorrow to compete in the global market," said Peter Wilkins, co-founder and CEO, New Futuro.
New Futuro will receive a scholarship to attend The Practical Innovator, a daylong executive education program at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
Most Popular Stories
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- HBO No Go During 'True Detective' Finale
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- Colo. Raises $3.5 Million in Pot Revenue
- Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall
- Kim Jong Un Elected in Remarkable Unanimous Vote
- Neil Young Debuts PonoMusic This Week
- Rodman Calls It Quits With Kim Jong Un
- Growth Expected if Congress Passes Budget
- Shipwright Jobs Offered in N.C.