The Virginia Hispanic Chamber of Commerce will kick off Hispanic Heritage Month with its annual Hispanic Gala at the Science Museum of Virginia on Sept. 12.
The gala will present the Bridge Builder Award to U.S. Secretary of Labor Hilda Solis and NASA, among other notable recipients. Virginia Gov. Robert F. McDonnell will give the opening remarks.
Past recipients include former President Vicente Fox of Mexico and U.S. Cabinet members Carlos M. Gutierrez and Anna Escobedo Cabral.
Hispanic Heritage Month runs Sept. 15-Oct. 15.
"National Hispanic Heritage Month is the time to acknowledge and celebrate the great contributions of Hispanic Americans," said Michel Zajur, president of the VAHCC. "The Hispanic Gala is an opportunity for everyone to celebrate the contributions of Hispanic businesses and the Hispanic community."
Related: Nominations Are Open for HABLA, HABLA Youth Scholarship in Atlanta
Now in its ninth year, the Hispanic Gala expects 700 attendees, including ambassadors, governors of Virginia, elected officials, entrepreneurs and business leaders. The evening will begin with a cocktail reception followed by a four-course gourmet meal, entertaining performances by the Latin Ballet of Virginia, music and dancing.
A portion of the proceeds of the Hispanic Gala support bilingual business workshops, seminars, and business-assistance programs.
Limited tickets and sponsorship opportunities are available. Visit www.thehispanicgala.com for more information.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare