Selena Gomez's younger fans may not fully appreciate her latest role.
Gomez stars in Harmony Korine's film "Spring Breakers" about four female college students who rob a fast food shack to pay for spring break. They get into trouble when they get arrested on drug charges, and after being bailed out by a local thug, played by James Franco, they embark on a wild spring break trip.
Gomez - who is best known as Alex Russo on Disney's "Wizards of Waverly Place" -- acknowledges the role is "a little shocking" for her younger audiences.
But, she said, "I think this was right for me."
Gomez stars with Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson and Rachel Korine, the director's wife. The film made its world premiere Wednesday at the Venice Film Festival.
Most Popular Stories
- National Retail Federation Reduces Sales Forecast
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe