Billionaire financier George Soros has donated $1 million to Priorities USA, a super PAC backing President Barack Obama, sources told The Hill.
The donation is the first Soros has given directly toward supporting Obama for the 2012 election. He had previously donated to other pro-Democratic super PACs earlier this year, The Hill reported Thursday.
"Soros has always been a supporter of the president, reports to contrary not withstanding," said Michael Vachon, Soros' adviser.
The New York Times reported Soros donated a total of $500,000 to Majority PAC and House Majority PAC, which back Congressional Democrats.
Most Popular Stories
- World Bank: Rich Countries Must Curb Emissions
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- Immigration Reform Would Decrease U.S. Budget Deficit
- Conference Slated for Hispanic Tech Startups
- Tea Party Wants to 'Audit the IRS'
- Using Acids to Unlock Shale Oil OK, Regulator Says
- Amazon Doesn't Need Tax Breaks but Gets Offered Millions
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Slaying
- Banks Don't Follow Rules in Mortgage Settlement