Rapper Lil Wayne has beaten the record set by Elvis Presley for the most chart-topping hits in the U.S. by a solo artist, Billboard said Thursday.
The music publication said the superstar rapper now has 109 Billboard Hot 100 hits, beating the 108 hits notched up by the King of Rock and Roll between 1958 and 2003.
Lil Wayne's record however does not match Presley's in one respect: Most of his hits came as a featured artist on tracks starring other singers. Presley still has the most hits as solo lead artist, leading such luminaries as James Brown (81), Aretha Franklin, 73 and Ray Charles, 72.
Many of Presley's greatest hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog predated the start of the chart.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World