Rapper Lil Wayne has beaten the record set by Elvis Presley for the most chart-topping hits in the U.S. by a solo artist, Billboard said Thursday.
The music publication said the superstar rapper now has 109 Billboard Hot 100 hits, beating the 108 hits notched up by the King of Rock and Roll between 1958 and 2003.
Lil Wayne's record however does not match Presley's in one respect: Most of his hits came as a featured artist on tracks starring other singers. Presley still has the most hits as solo lead artist, leading such luminaries as James Brown (81), Aretha Franklin, 73 and Ray Charles, 72.
Many of Presley's greatest hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog predated the start of the chart.
Most Popular Stories
- Slow Week Ahead of December FOMC Meeting
- Hispanics Seek to Grow School Board Members
- GM Bailout Saved 1.2 Million U.S. Jobs, Report Says
- Questions Remain in Jenni Rivera's Death
- 'Knockout Game': Myth or Menace?
- Bitcoin Used to Buy Tesla Car
- Banks Fret as Volcker Vote Approaches
- Paul Walker Fans Pay Respects
- U.S. Companies Eager for Iranian Business
- Yellen Set to Become One of World's Most Powerful Women