Rapper Lil Wayne has beaten the record set by Elvis Presley for the most chart-topping hits in the U.S. by a solo artist, Billboard said Thursday.
The music publication said the superstar rapper now has 109 Billboard Hot 100 hits, beating the 108 hits notched up by the King of Rock and Roll between 1958 and 2003.
Lil Wayne's record however does not match Presley's in one respect: Most of his hits came as a featured artist on tracks starring other singers. Presley still has the most hits as solo lead artist, leading such luminaries as James Brown (81), Aretha Franklin, 73 and Ray Charles, 72.
Many of Presley's greatest hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog predated the start of the chart.
Most Popular Stories
- Prosecutor to Investigate Walmart Police Shooting
- Mark Sanchez Suddenly a Hot QB Commodity
- GM to Announce New Jobs in Tennessee
- Smith & Wesson Misses Target
- Emirates Hit Libyan Targets With Airstrikes
- Michael Brown Funeral: Can Americans Change the Script of Violence?
- Marco Rubio Warns Obama on Deportations
- American Killed With ISIS Fighters in Syria
- Surf's Up! SoCal Prepares for Big Storm Surf
- Ford Hires 300 at Louisville Lincoln Plant