Rapper Lil Wayne has beaten the record set by Elvis Presley for the most chart-topping hits in the U.S. by a solo artist, Billboard said Thursday.
The music publication said the superstar rapper now has 109 Billboard Hot 100 hits, beating the 108 hits notched up by the King of Rock and Roll between 1958 and 2003.
Lil Wayne's record however does not match Presley's in one respect: Most of his hits came as a featured artist on tracks starring other singers. Presley still has the most hits as solo lead artist, leading such luminaries as James Brown (81), Aretha Franklin, 73 and Ray Charles, 72.
Many of Presley's greatest hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog predated the start of the chart.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- Boehner Says No to Palin's Call for Impeachment
- Judge Strikes Down Colo. Gay Marriage Ban
- FOMC Minutes From June 17 Meeting: Full Text
- Libyan Production Pushes Brent Crude Below $109
- U.K. Girds for Nationwide Strike
- Warren G. Harding's Spicy Love Letters to Be Released
- UTEP Students Tapped to Test Lunar Dust Device
- Is Eva Mendes Pregnant With Ryan Gosling's Baby?