Rapper Lil Wayne has beaten the record set by Elvis Presley for the most chart-topping hits in the U.S. by a solo artist, Billboard said Thursday.
The music publication said the superstar rapper now has 109 Billboard Hot 100 hits, beating the 108 hits notched up by the King of Rock and Roll between 1958 and 2003.
Lil Wayne's record however does not match Presley's in one respect: Most of his hits came as a featured artist on tracks starring other singers. Presley still has the most hits as solo lead artist, leading such luminaries as James Brown (81), Aretha Franklin, 73 and Ray Charles, 72.
Many of Presley's greatest hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog predated the start of the chart.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women