Following a campaign stop at the University of Miami Thursday afternoon, President Barack Obama felt hungry.
And with the First Lady nowhere in sight, the POTUS headed to a nearby hamburger joint, which happened to be owned by a Cuban-American, part of the Hispanic demographic his campaign stop aimed to attract.
Just before 4 p.m., and fresh from being grilled on Spanish-language network Univision, Obama and his Secret Service men walked into OMG! Burgers in South Miami for a quick meal.
"We got a 15-minute warning; that's it," said a still-surprised owner Abiel Ballesteros after the president's visit to the eatery at 5748 Sunset Dr.
Ballesteros said Obama sat down at a table, just like any other customer, and chatted up several UM students.
The Secret Service placed his order and paid the bill: An American Classic cheeseburger for $6.49; fries for $2.19 and a soft drink. He was served by Elena Garcia.
Later, Obama posed for photos with Garcia, cook Orestes Molina and Nerisley Gomez, another OMG! employee.
The customers and employees were thrilled, Ballesteros said.
"He was very cordial and nice and posed for pictures with anyone who asked," he said.
Framed snapshots of the famous visitor will now go up on the restaurant's wall and on the OMG! Burgers website.
And the burger Obama ordered will now get a new name: It will be fittingly called the Presidential Cheeseburger.
"He made us famous for a day, so we really appreciate him coming to our restaurant," Ballesteros said.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- Microsoft's Cloud Platform Shines
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes