Housing project starts for private homes rose 2.3 percent above downwardly revised July estimate of 733,000 starts, the Commerce Department said Wednesday.
A month earlier, the department said there were 754,000 private home construction starts in July.
Housing starts for August are estimated at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 750,000, which is 29.1 percent above the 581,000 starts in August 2011.
In August, project permits issued -- representing construction starts one and two months down the road -- fell by 1 percent month-to-month.
At a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 803,000, permits issued came in 24.5 percent above August 2011. In the meantime, the annual rate for July was lowered by 1,000 to 811,000.
The department said 689,000 privately owned housing construction projects were completed in August on a seasonally adjusted annual basis.
There were 0.7 percent more completions in the month than in July, where a revised estimate put upwardly revised completions rate of 684,000.
The number of completed projects in the month came in 11.7 percent higher than August 2011 when an estimated 617,000 projects were completed, the department said.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'