Randy Jackson will serve as a mentor, not a judge, when "American Idol" returns next season, show sources told TMZ.
Jackson has been a judge on the singing competition series since its first season in 2002.
Jackson's latest fellow judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler recently announced they would not return to the show next season.
Recording star Mariah Carey has signed on to fill one of the vacancies and TMZ reported singer Nicki Minaj is close to a deal to fill a second slot.
The celebrity news Web site said the show's producers would like to have someone from the country music world replace Jackson.
Most Popular Stories
- Bipartisan Budget Deal Gets Key Support in House
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Selena Gomez, Shakira Among Top Hispanic Searches
- PhD Project Grooms Business Profs
- Futures Fall, Holiday Spending and Unemployment Up
- GM to Stop Making Autos in Australia
- Budget Deal Will Cut 220,000 Californians Out of Jobless Benefits
- Oil Nears $98 a Barrel
- Senate Not So Keen on Budget Deal