The RAV4 EV goes on sale in eco-minded California during the week of Sept. 24, Toyota Motor Sales USA announced. The all-electric crossover is rated by the EPA at a range of 103 miles, with fuel efficiency of 78 city miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) and 74 highway, for a combined 76 MPGe.
California dealers in large metros will offer the RAV4 EV for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $49,800, with the option to buy or lease. Financing of 1.9 percent APR is available for qualified customers. The 36-month lease option runs $599 per month after $3,499 in drive-off money.
Sales volume is planned for approximately 2,600 units through 2014.
The RAV4 EV is expected to qualify for a $2,500 rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program in California and also is eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit.
Related: Ford Focus Electric Is a Quiet but Pricey Success: Review
A collaboration with Tesla Motors in California's Silicon Valley, spurred by Akio Toyoda, president and CEO, Toyota Motor Corp., the RAV4 EV combines a Tesla battery and electric powertrain with Toyota's most popular SUV model.
Toyota's electric equipment provider Leviton offers several charging options, including a custom 240-volt, 40-amp, 9.6 kW out charging station. A 120-volt, 12-amp charging cable comes with the car for when 240-volt charging isn't available.
All told, however, what may really clinch the deal for many California drivers is that the RAV4 EV will qualify for the California High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane white sticker program.
Most Popular Stories
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'