The RAV4 EV goes on sale in eco-minded California during the week of Sept. 24, Toyota Motor Sales USA announced. The all-electric crossover is rated by the EPA at a range of 103 miles, with fuel efficiency of 78 city miles per gallon equivalent (MPGe) and 74 highway, for a combined 76 MPGe.
California dealers in large metros will offer the RAV4 EV for a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $49,800, with the option to buy or lease. Financing of 1.9 percent APR is available for qualified customers. The 36-month lease option runs $599 per month after $3,499 in drive-off money.
Sales volume is planned for approximately 2,600 units through 2014.
The RAV4 EV is expected to qualify for a $2,500 rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Program in California and also is eligible for a $7,500 federal tax credit.
Related: Ford Focus Electric Is a Quiet but Pricey Success: Review
A collaboration with Tesla Motors in California's Silicon Valley, spurred by Akio Toyoda, president and CEO, Toyota Motor Corp., the RAV4 EV combines a Tesla battery and electric powertrain with Toyota's most popular SUV model.
Toyota's electric equipment provider Leviton offers several charging options, including a custom 240-volt, 40-amp, 9.6 kW out charging station. A 120-volt, 12-amp charging cable comes with the car for when 240-volt charging isn't available.
All told, however, what may really clinch the deal for many California drivers is that the RAV4 EV will qualify for the California High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lane white sticker program.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Fiat Chrysler to Build 3 Jeeps in China
- Ohio Couple Married 70 Years, Die 15 Hours Apart
- Hawaii is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point