HispanicBusiness Media named MGM Resorts International as one of the nation's 2012 Best Companies for Diversity. The company ranked 26th on a list of 55 companies and secured a spot as the only gaming corporation to rank in this year's competition.
Companies on the list are selected for their hiring, promotion, marketing, philanthropy and supplier diversity efforts.
"Top companies on this year's list went well beyond workforce diversity initiatives and implemented strategies to reach more Hispanic consumers and increase their procurements with minority- and Hispanic-owned suppliers," says Bill Krutzen, director of new media operations for HispanicBusiness Media.
Other companies named to the 2012 Best Companies list include Aflac Inc., The Coca-Cola Co. and General Mills.
Related: Overview: 2012 Best Companies
"On behalf of our 62,000 employees, it is an honor to be recognized by HispanicBusiness Media as a national leader in diversity," said Jim Murren, chairman and CEO of MGM Resorts International. "We consider the inclusion of Hispanic employees in our workforce and Hispanic-owned businesses in our company commerce a priority as a leading company, but also important from a diversity standpoint as it brings substantial benefits by helping us better serve the needs of customers of various backgrounds."
In 2000, MGM Resorts International became the gaming industry's first company to implement a voluntary diversity initiative. Hispanics now make up 32 percent of MGM Resorts' workforce, with 14.4 percent holding managerial or higher-ranking positions, according to the company.
In 2011, the company spent more than $27 million in business with certified Hispanic-owned businesses.
MGM Resorts has also established partnerships with national Hispanic organizations such as the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR), the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) and the Association of Latino Professionals in Finance and Accounting (ALPFA).
A PDF detailing the company's diversity efforts is available here.
HispanicBusiness Media is the nation's leading source of information for and about Hispanic professionals and entrepreneurs. Its online publications include HispanicBusiness.com and HireDiversity.com.
MGM Resorts International's brands include Bellagio, MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay and The Mirage.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Detroit Free Press Julie Hinds column