When Gulfport native Brittney Reese captured first place in the women's long jump finals at the 2012 Olympics in London on Wednesday, she tweeted, "I am a Olympic GOLD Medalist...Wow!!!"
Reese received congratulatory tweets from Gulf Coast resdients and celebrities alike.
Retired New Orleans Saints running back Deuce McAllister tweeted, "S/O to @DaLJBeast for bringing home the gold and reppin Ole Miss and the Gulf Coast." Reese replied and thanked him for his words.
Rapper Lil Wayne also congratulated Reese on Twitter. The New Orleans native, who goes by Lil Wayne WEEZY F on Twitter, said Wednesday, "All luv to Brittney Reese and Janay DeLoach!!!" Lil Wayne has been retweeted over 900 times as of this morning. Gulfport resident Keith Williams, Jr., @KeithJr17, retweed the rapper and added the trending topic #respect at the end of his tweet.
Coast residents are proud of Reese for bringing an Olympic medal to South Mississippi.
Lee Ann Kendrick, @LeeAnnjk, of Gulfport tweeted yesterday, "Congratulations to Gulfport, MS own Brittney Reese for bringing home the gold in women's long jump! :-)"
Linnette Graveley, @228cutie on Twitter, is a resident of D'Iberville who went to school with Reese. She tweeted, "Congrats to my fellow classmate Brittney Reese on her Olympic gold medal!!!"
Gulfport resident Holly Graves, @HGraves82 on Twitter, said, "Brittney Reese made MS and the Gulf Coast very proud today. #228forlife #USAgold"
Brittney Reese will arrive back in Gulfport Saturday evening. She can be followed on Twitter @DaLJBeast.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Spending Will Offset Sequester: Economists
- Hispanic Grads Pass Their Peers in College Enrollment
- AT&T Seeks to Fill 120 Jobs in South Carolina
- Gas Prices Expected to Stay High
- California Considers Oil Tax to Fund Schools
- Dude! California Beach Parking Plan Making Waves
- Ford's Supplier Diversity Program Turns 35
- Yahoo to Pay $1.1 Billion for Tumblr
- Boise Terror Suspect Pleads Not Guilty
- NTSB Wants to Lower Blood Alcohol Limit to 0.05