LONDON -- (Marketwire) -- 08/07/12 -- Leo Manzano in his signature style fought his way to the front of the fiercely competitive international pack to earn a silver medal tonight at the men's 1500 meter final. Ever since becoming a competitive runner in the United States, Manzano's dream has been to stand on the podium representing the United States. His official time is his season's best at 3:34.79. Manzano is the first American to medal in the men's 1500 meter since 1968.
"I am honored and excited to represent both the United States and Mexico by earning this silver," said an elated Manzano. "Standing on the podium has been a dream of mine and I share it proudly with my family, friends, coaches and all my supporters from Austin, Marble Falls, and Granite Shoals, Texas as well as Dolores Hidalgo, Mexico."
The initial favorites pulled out in front and ran a tight race. At one point, Manzano was nearly at the back of the pack. In an exciting last several hundred meters, Manzano not only caught the entire pack, he pulled alongside to put himself in medal contention. Suddenly, in the final moments, Leo engaged his signature kick, found the next gear in his 5'5" frame and sprinted to win the silver medal.
This has been a stand-out year for Manzano who is the reigning U.S. National Champion (3:35.75); USTAF Indoor champion (3:48.05); he placed 4th at USATF High Performance (3:36.08).
Image Available: http://www2.marketwire.com/mw/frame_mw?attachid=2060278
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women