New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez will speak at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., this month, Reince Preibus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, announced.
Martinez was among several high-profile Republicans named by Preibus who will address the GOP convention, where Mitt Romney is expected to be nominated for president.
Other speakers include U.S. Sen. John McCain, who was the previous Republican nominee in 2008, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, Florida Gov. Rick Scott and Ohio Gov. John Kasich.
Some commentators have noted today that the selection of Martinez, Rice and Haley is a sign that despite speculation and rumor, none of them will be chosen as Romney's running mate. Several GOP leaders who are believed to be on Romney's short list for the No. 2 spot -- Sen. Rob Portman of Ohio, former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal -- were conspicuously absent from the list of speakers.
Martinez, who is in her second year as governor, has consistently maintained that she is not interested in running for vice president this year, even though many national pundits have maintained that as a female Hispanic she might be helpful to the ticket. A spokesman for Martinez said last week that the Romney team was not vetting Martinez for the position.
A Republican news release quoted Martinez saying, "The Republican National Convention will give Mitt Romney momentum for securing a critical victory for our country this fall. Americans want to work. They want to build their businesses, compete and succeed in order to create more jobs and a secure future for their families. Mitt Romney knows that is the formula for our economic growth -- not more government roadblocks. We will share this message in Tampa in a few weeks, and the American voters will make their voices heard on this at the polls in November."
The Republican National Convention begins on Aug. 27.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women