Just hours after the Curiosity rover landed
successfully on Mars, the US space agency stressed its work was just
"The surface mission of curiosity has now begun," said mission manager Mike Watkins, noting that the awe-inspiring landing was only the first step. "We're just starting that mission, we're not ending it."
NASA said the craft's first day on Mars was devoted primarily to checking to make sure all its instruments were working properly, and so far everything looked to be in order.
It also unveiled a photograph of the craft falling through the Martian atmosphere attached to a giant parachute that was snapped by the orbiting Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter satellite.
Most Popular Stories
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- SET PHASERS TO DUMB Spock emotional and in love? Nonstop explosions? The highly illogical enterprise of J.J. Abrams' 'Star Trek'
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Contra Costa Times Chuck Barney column
- The News & Advance, Lynchburg, Va., Casey Gillis column