U.S. hip-hop mogul Chris Lighty, longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy and Mariah Carey, has apparently committed suicide, E! News said Thursday.
He was 44.
Lighty was found dead outside his Bronx, N.Y., apartment with a gunshot wound to the head, the New York Daily News reported.
Police sources told the newspaper Lighty killed himself after an argument with his estranged wife, Veronica.
Insiders also told the Daily News Lighty may have been dealing with financial issues, including a $5 million federal tax bill.
Numerous celebrities took to Twitter to express their shock and grief over his death.
"Rest peacefully Chris Lighty, my prayers go out to family and loved ones! Dear God please have mercy," singer Rihanna tweeted.
Musician and TV-radio personality Nick Cannon, who is married to Carey, said he is "devastated right now."
"I can't believe my big brother Chris Lighty is gone," Cannon tweeted. "He was a pioneer, a mentor, and a great friend RIP. I truly believe to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, but I just feel like Chris's work wasn't finish on earth."
Most Popular Stories
- PBS Series Examines America's Demographic Shift
- Americans Bet Big on Gambling Industry
- Exxon Gives Nod to Fracking Risks
- Petri Likely Broke House Ethics Rules
- California's Ban on Plastic Bags: What Now?
- Morgan: 'Can't Believe' Wal-Mart Blaming Him
- Wealth Gap Widens as Rich Spend More on Kids' Education
- Texas Sees Gains in Hispanic College Enrollment
- Lack of Sea Ice Brings 35,000 Walruses Ashore
- Can You Be Fired for Using Medical Marijuana?