U.S. hip-hop mogul Chris Lighty, longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy and Mariah Carey, has apparently committed suicide, E! News said Thursday.
He was 44.
Lighty was found dead outside his Bronx, N.Y., apartment with a gunshot wound to the head, the New York Daily News reported.
Police sources told the newspaper Lighty killed himself after an argument with his estranged wife, Veronica.
Insiders also told the Daily News Lighty may have been dealing with financial issues, including a $5 million federal tax bill.
Numerous celebrities took to Twitter to express their shock and grief over his death.
"Rest peacefully Chris Lighty, my prayers go out to family and loved ones! Dear God please have mercy," singer Rihanna tweeted.
Musician and TV-radio personality Nick Cannon, who is married to Carey, said he is "devastated right now."
"I can't believe my big brother Chris Lighty is gone," Cannon tweeted. "He was a pioneer, a mentor, and a great friend RIP. I truly believe to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, but I just feel like Chris's work wasn't finish on earth."
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Earthlike Planet Found in Red Dwarf's Goldilocks Zone
- New Auto Plant to Create 155 Jobs in Kentucky
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- Generating Solar Power in the Dark
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip