Amazon has sold out of its Kindle Fire
tablet, the web retailer announced Thursday, just days before it is
expected to announce a new version of the popular mobile gadget.
Amazon has not released official sales figures for the device, but says that the 7-inch screen tablet has captured some 22 per cent of the US tablet market since its launch 11 months ago.
Analysts estimate that up to 10 million units have been sold, but that it has been struggling of late to compete with newer models like Google's Nexus 7, which offer better specifications at the same price.
"We're grateful to the millions of customers who have made Kindle Fire the most successful product launch in the history of Amazon," said Jeff Bezos, Amazon.com founder and chief executive.
Amazon has scheduled a big press event in Santa Monica, California, next Thursday, where it is expected to announce new tablet models, including perhaps a larger one or even a smartphone.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story