Syria's state-TV confirmed the
downing of a helicopter gunship at the troublesome district of
Qaboun in the capital Damascus on Monday.
The TV disclosed no further information about the circumstances of the incident, but activists said the chopper was downed by rebel fighters in the restive area of Damascus' countryside.
The accident occurred as Shelling and gunfire are reverberating across Damascus in a fresh escalation of violence that appalled the capital's residents.
Witnesses said the government troops are currently clashing with armed insurgents in rebel-held areas in the eastern part of Damascus, including the suburbs of Qaboun, Jobar and eastern Ghota area.
Activists claimed that 19 people have been killed so far, most of whom were allegedly killed Damascus' countryside.
However, their claim could not be checked independently.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women