Tampa, Fla., strip club workers said they are hopeful the Republican convention will bring in business despite small turn-outs the weekend before the event.
Workers at clubs including 2001 Odyssey said they have made special preparations for this week's convention, but turnout Saturday night was slower than expected in the lead-up to the Republican event, the Tampa Bay Times reported Monday.
"We're hopeful," a dancer with the stage name Brandy said Saturday night. "I think it's the quiet before the storm."
Jim Kleinhans, owner of 2001 Odyssey, said special preparations for the convention include adding two extra ATMs and putting up a drive-up tent for arriving VIPs. However, only one vehicle took advantage of the tent Saturday.
Meanwhile, Thee Dollhouse employed adult film actress Lisa Ann, who has played Sarah Palin parody Serra Paylin in pornographic films, to portray the character as she strips during the convention while other dancers at the club donned patriotic outfits resembling the costume of DC Comics superhero Wonder Woman.
Vicki Baham, manager at the Mons Venus strip club, blamed Tropical Storm Isaac for the slow weekend.
"I'm sure it's the hurricane," she said. "People are freaking out about it."
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women