A student at Perry Hall High School in Baltimore, Md., was shot Monday morning, the first day of school, Baltimore County police said.
A suspect was arrested.
The victim was hospitalized and some students were escorted to a nearby shopping mall to await their parents while others were locked down in rooms such as the library, police said.
Baltimore County Councilman David Marks, who lives next door to the school, said he has been telephoned by dozens of worried parents, and has heard "a lot of helicopters," The Baltimore Sun reported.
Parent Doris Puskoski told the Sun her son had texted her, saying a gunman had started shooting in the lunchroom.
The Sun said the school wing near the cafeteria had been shut down.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women