A quip about celebrity couple Victoria and David Beckham and a groaner tied to the Olympic Games were among Scotland's Edinburgh Festival Fringe top jokes.
Canadian standup comedian Stewart Francis won the honor of funniest joke with his quip: "You know who really gives kids a bad name? Posh and Becks."
Posh and Becks is the media-inspired nickname for the Beckhams, and is widely recognized in British popular culture. The term has also found its way into rhyming slang, referring to sex.
When Victoria Beckham, then known as Victoria Adams, sang with the all-female pop group Spice Girls, she was dubbed Posh Spice by the British pop music magazine Top of the Pops.
David Beckham is a soccer player who plays for the Los Angeles Galaxy and played for England's Manchester United and Spain's Real Madrid among European teams.
Rounding out the Top 10 award-winning jokes, given out by the British-Irish cable TV channel Dave, to standup comedians:
2. Tim Vine -- "Last night me and my girlfriend watched three DVDs back to back. Luckily I was the one facing the telly. " (Telly is British short for television.)
3. Will Marsh -- "I was raised as an only child, which really annoyed my sister."
4. Rob Beckett -- "You know you're working class when your TV is bigger than your bookcase."
5. Chris Turner -- "I'm good friends with 25 letters of the alphabet ... I don't know why."
6. Tim Vine -- "I took part in the sun tanning Olympics -- I just got Bronze."
7. George Ryegold -- "Pornography is often frowned upon, but that's only because I'm concentrating."
8. Stewart Francis -- "I saw a documentary on how ships are kept together. Riveting!"
9. Lou Sanders -- "I waited an hour for my starter, so I complained, 'It's not rocket salad.'" (A starter in England is the appetizer or first course of a meal.)
10. Nish Kumar -- "My mum's so pessimistic that if there was an Olympics for pessimism, she wouldn't fancy her chances."
The Edinburgh Festival Fringe, or The Fringe, is the world's largest arts festival. Established in 1947 as an alternative to the Edinburgh International Festival, it takes place annually in Scotland's capital in August.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women