Toyota announced the recall Wednesday of up to 1.5 million cars worldwide.
The Japanese automaker said it was conducting the recall voluntarily due to concern about wear on the rear suspensions in some of its vehicles.
In the United States, Toyota's largest foreign market, the recall will affect 760,000 RAV4 models built between 2006 and early 2011. Also included are 18,000 Lexus HS 250h models.
Owners of the vehicles subject to recall will receive an official notice from Toyota.
Two years ago some Toyota vehicles were alleged to have had recurring brake problems. As a result of the bad publicity at the time, the company is now taking proactive measures to address potential problems.
Most Popular Stories
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- Kanye West 'SNL Speech' Renounces Celebrity Status
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- 'Star Trek Into Darkness': The Return of Khan?
- Apple's iPhones, iPads Approved for Military Use, Sir Yes Sir!
- Financial Times Twitter, Email Hacked
- RFD-TV launches on Charter Cable
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- Jolie Mastectomy Raises Legal Questions
- Under the alien ; Tulsa native Heather Langenkamp talks about how she got a part in the new "Star Trek" film.