Toyota announced the recall Wednesday of up to 1.5 million cars worldwide.
The Japanese automaker said it was conducting the recall voluntarily due to concern about wear on the rear suspensions in some of its vehicles.
In the United States, Toyota's largest foreign market, the recall will affect 760,000 RAV4 models built between 2006 and early 2011. Also included are 18,000 Lexus HS 250h models.
Owners of the vehicles subject to recall will receive an official notice from Toyota.
Two years ago some Toyota vehicles were alleged to have had recurring brake problems. As a result of the bad publicity at the time, the company is now taking proactive measures to address potential problems.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures