Fiat Brand introduced its 2013 Fiat 500 Turbo at the Cocorso Italiano in Monterey, Calif., today. The new model features a 135-horsepower 1.4-liter MultiAir Turbo engine, sport-tuned suspension and sport-styled interior.
The carmaker says the new Fiat is aimed at drivers "who are drawn to the Italian style of the Fiat 500 but want more power and performance for their daily drive."
"We listened to our customers," said Tim Kuniskis, head of FIAT Brand North America. "The Fiat 500 Turbo hits the sweet spot between the regular Cinquecento and the high-performance Fiat 500 Abarth. The Fiat 500 Turbo balances and blends the best Italian flavors that our portfolio has to offer, becoming the perfect canvas for customization."
The Fiat 500 Turbo is paired to the C510 five-speed manual transmission with a 3.35 final-drive gear ratio for quick acceleration and faster top speed, while achieving up to 34 mpg highway. To handle the increased power and torque of the new engine, larger constant velocity (CV) joints with 53 percent greater torsional strength deliver added durability and refinement.
Related: Chrysler Stops Taking Job Applications After Just 36 Hours
The "more aggressive appearance" of the new model is a result of the front fascia being pushed forward to accommodate the new engine. New headlights and parking lamps give the car a "more menacing look," says the automaker.
The Beats by Dr. Dre sound system features six premium speakers, an 8-inch subwoofer and a 368-watt amplifier.
Fiat has sold more than 800,000 Fiat 500s since relaunching the model in 2007.
The Fiat 500 Turbo arrives at FIAT Studios nationwide this fall with an MSRP of $19,500, excluding a $700 destination charge.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction