More than 60 wildfires were burning Wednesday across the US West as the country experiences one of its worst droughts on record.
Hardest hit by the fires were the coastal states of Washington, Oregon and California - along with interior states like Nevada, Utah and Idaho - according to the US Department of Agriculture's forest service's daily fire mapping report. Nine hundred people have been evacuated in the region, CNN reported.
More than two-thirds of the lower 48 states are suffering drought. Temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius and higher make firefighting more difficult. In Washington state alone, more than 100 square kilometres of forest have been destroyed.
Most Popular Stories
- Entrepreneurs Chase Social Media
- Schedule packed with talent at the Fox
- European Car Sales up First Time in 20 Months
- I never set out to be a role model but it's great to be one ; IN THE HOTSEATBetter known by his stage name Wretch 32, Jermaine Sinclair is a 28-year-old rapper from London. In 2011 his debut album Black and White sold over a million copies and scored three top five singles. His latest single Blackout was released this week
- Austin musicians point to a variety of reasons to appreciate McCartney
- Manila's Hollywood Week
- The Blade, Toledo, Ohio, TK Barger column
- Promoter McLean 'provided more musical joy than Dylan and Prince combined'
- Emirati announces new film project at Cannes
- SINCE YOU ASKED [Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (PA)]