British actor Robert Pattinson declined to talk specifically about his recent breakup with Kristen Stewart during his appearance on "The Daily Show."
Monday's interview marked his first TV appearance since his "Twilight" co-star Stewart publicly apologized last month for cheating on him with Rupert Sanders, who directed her in "Snow White and the Huntsman."
Pattinson, who is on the promotion trail for his new film "Cosmopolis," was greeted by cheers from the audience as he walked on the "Daily Show" stage, then found host Jon Stewart waiting for him with a pint of ice cream as a gesture of comfort, UsMagazine.com reported.
"Obviously, what have you been up to?" Stewart asked.
"I had a joke. I was all set up and ready to go. Goddamn it!" Pattinson replied.
"We're just a couple of gals ... tell me everything!" Stewart urged him.
"This is a program where I can feel awkward in every situation. ... I'm trying to avoid eating!" Pattinson said.
"Are you alright?" Stewart pressed.
"I don't know how to approach this. This is the weird thing about these interviews. I'm going to sound like an idiot," Pattinson said, adding the ice cream was a "great idea."
UsMagazine.com said the actor also insisted his personal troubles have nothing to do with "the real issues of Americans."
People.com quoted Stewart as saying young people going through a breakup sometimes feel like it is the end of the world, to which Pattinson responded, "It is."
Most Popular Stories
- Airport Garners Social Media Award
- Social Media Campaign Increases Organ Donor Registrations
- Cost of Health Care Slowing in U.S.
- World Bank: Rich Countries Must Curb Emissions
- Intel Working on Smartwatch; Mum on Possible Apple Link
- Patriots' Aaron Hernandez Questioned in Slaying
- Using Acids to Unlock Shale Oil OK, Regulator Says
- Microsoft Says XBox Is No Big Brother
- Fed Will Keep Buying Bonds for Now; Markets Dip
- NHU, Canada College Partner on B.A. in Child Development