Thirteen people were arrested Sunday after they were caught at a cockfight Sunday morning just before lunch near Powell, according to a press release from the Navarro County Sheriff's Office.
Deputies Terry Brooks and Keith Lewis responded to an anonymous tip and saw a number of men around a barn as well as several game-fighting roosters. After looking around, they found a number of live roosters, rooster-fighting paraphernalia and five dead birds.
Manuel Chairez, 49, owner of the property; and Juan Manuel Garcia of Athens, were arrested for cockfighting, a state jail felony.
Conrado Ramirez, 45, from Athens was arrested for tampering with physical evidence, and attending a cockfight.
Also charged with attending a cockfight were the following:
Herman Garcia, 25, Athens; Antonio Tellez-Garcia, 39, Athens; Humberto Villarrell, 30, of Corsicana; Johnny Rodriquez, 26, of Waco; Juan Rodriquez, 26, of Athens; Cesar Aranda, 26, of Athens; Kevin Angulian, 23, of Athens; Jorge Gonzalez, 32, of Athens; Claudid Velaquez, 58, of Athens; Ernesto Hernandez Ramos, 26, of Corsicana.
Attending a cockfight is a Class C misdemeanor. Most of the spectators pleaded guilty, paid a $567 fine and were released.
Most Popular Stories
- SEO Traffic Lab Celebrate Wins at Digital Marketing Event 'Internet World 2013' in London
- Social Media Initiatives Should Follow Customers' Lead
- Apple CEO: Offshore Units Not a 'Tax Gimmick'
- U.S. Senate Accuses Apple of Large-scale Tax Avoidance
- UTEP Water Recycling Project Wins Venture Titles
- Marketo Makes a Mint in IPO: Stock Shoots Up More than 50 Percent
- Bieber Booed at Billboard Awards
- Crude Oil Up, Gasoline Down
- Austin Startup Compare Metrics Raises $3.5 Million for Expansion
- Why So Many Top 'Car Guys' Are Actually Women